Lots of legal information, but in small doses

Industrial accidents? Here is what you must know.


Labor and employment law

When an industrial accident happens or a labour-related occupational disease is contracted, the first thing you must do is to advise your employer as soon as you can. If the worker is a victim of an industrial accident outside Québec or suffers from an occupational disease contracted outside Québec, the worker may benefit from the protection of the Act respecting industrial accidents and occupational diseases, if he has his domicile in Québec and his employer has an establishment in Québec.

Also, you must consult a doctor as soon as you can. A medical certificate must be furnished to your employer if you suffer from an employment injury and you are unable to carry on your employment by reason of this injury beyond the day of the accident.

Keep Track of your Medical Records

If you are unable to carry on your employment for more than 14 days, or if you wish to be reimbursed by the CSST, you must file out the form «Réclamation du travailleur» available on the website of the Commission des normes, de l’équité et de la santé et sécurité au travail (CNESST).

It is very important that you conserve all your receipts in order to be reimbursed by the CSST.

Furthermore, you must submit to all necessary medical examinations and follow medical treatment recommended by your doctor as prescribed. Also, the employer has the right to ask that you be seen by a doctor chosen by him.

Let me remind you that you must advise the CSST and your employer of any change in your situation, including the date that you will return to work, for example.

Nadia Pola, Attorney-at-Law
Alepin Gauthier Avocats inc.

Back to the list

Do you like this publication?

Questions about our rates or making appointments?

Discover how Alepin Gauthier's customized solution can meet your needs.

Contact us

Contact us


3080, boul. Le Carrefour
Bureau 400
Laval Qc Canada H7T 2R5






450 681-1476


Follow us